Understanding the ins and outs of an internet security system is just the first part of your journey towards online safety. There are many other things that you need to think about in order to make sure that you choose the best internet security software package for your needs. There are just so many products out there at the minute, that it can feel quite overwhelming to choose the one that is just right. Below are the 10 most important things that you should take into consideration.
10 Top Tips
- Every day, between one and 500 new viruses are created. Hence, find out how many viruses the software package is able to detect, and whether limits are set onto that.
- Because so many viruses appear each and every day, you also need to find out how often the software package is updated. The best packages automatically update regularly, preferable every day.
- Find out how easy it is to figure out what has been updated and if it has been updated at all.
- Can the program detect suspicious or unusual activity in the network or computer if it isn’t recognized as a virus yet?
- If you will use the suite on a server, is it able to spot any threats that are hidden inside compressed files?
- What is the alert and alarm system like? Make sure you check some reviews on the program for this. It is not uncommon for antivirus packages to have false positives every once in a while, and that is fine. What isn’t fine, however, is your computer constantly stopping because you get an alert saying that there is a virus infection.
- What kind of notification do you get if a virus or possible virus is detected?
- Can you customize the settings on your program so that you can scan specific parts of your computer really quickly? Some elements of your computer are more likely to become infected, and a full computer scan can take an exceedingly long time to complete, so you may want to choose something that allows you to do spot checks as well.
- Does the program keep a scanning log, so that you can go back over what was detected and when, and what actions were taken as a result? This is important in terms of identifying how you were infected with a threat in the first place, enabling you to avoid problems.
- How does the software impact your computer? Some programs will make your system run a lot slower, for instance. Generally, if you have an excellent internet connection, your system won’t slow down. But if you live somewhere with an unstable connection, then you may notice a few problems.
That is quite literally all there is to finding a good security system. Make sure that you install a system at all times, because internet threats are very real, and incredibly damaging.